To view the answer to the questions or FAQ's below, please click on the question and the answer will be displayed under the original question. Should you need more information or clarification, please contact us.

Q: What is the 2021 resident Visa application process?(Oct 2021)

A: The 2021 Resident visa will be open for applications in two phases, with the first group of people able to apply from 1 December 2021.

From 1 December 2021 you can apply if:

  • you have already applied for residence under the Skilled Migrant or Residence from Work categories on or before 29 September 2021, or
  • you have submitted a Skilled Migrant Category Expression of Interest, and have included your dependent child in the Expression of Interest aged 17 years or older on 29 September 2021.

From 1 March 2022 all other eligible applicants can apply, including all others who have submitted a Skilled Migrant Category Expression of Interest.

All applications must be made by 31 July 2022.

Applications can only be submitted online.

As part of the online application process, Phase one applicants must enter their Skilled Migrant Category, Residence from Work application or Expression of Interest number before they can proceed with their application. The application number can only be used for one application.

If you are eligible to apply from 1 December 2021 you will receive an email from Immigration New Zealand by the end of October with more information.

Visa conditions

The visa conditions for the 2021 Resident Visa will be the same as other resident visa holders, including standard travel conditions.

As is standard for resident visa holders, people need to apply for permanent residence to be able to travel in and out of New Zealand with no restrictions or conditions.

Fees and refunds

The total of cost of the 2021 Resident Visa will be $2,160 including GST. This includes a $1,330 application fee and $830 immigration levy.

Immigration New Zealand operates on a cost-recovery basis and the visa application fee paid by the applicant covers the cost of Immigration New Zealand processing the application.

If you have already submitted a Skilled Migrant Category Expression of Interest or Residence from Work application you will only have to pay the difference between what you have already paid and cost of the 2021 Resident Visa, provided you withdraw your previous application or EOI. If you have submitted a Skilled Migrant Category application, you will be refunded the difference if you withdraw your previous application.

If you have already paid for a Skilled Migrant Category application or Expression of Interest, a Resident from Work application the process will be:

  • You will not need to pay the fee upfront when you submit your application.
  • You must pay the application fee once an in-principle decision has been made on your application.
  • You must pay the application fee before the application is completed and the final decision is communicated.
  • A fee is payable whether the application is approved or declined.
  • You will have the option to withdraw your Skilled Migrant Category or Residence from Work application and receive a refund, which can be credited towards the 2021 Resident Visa application fee.
  • Residence from Work applicants and people who have submitted an Expression of Interest must pay the difference between the application fees before the 2021 Resident Visa application is completed.
  • Skilled Migrant Category applicants will be refunded the difference between the two application fees, if they agree to withdraw their onhand Skilled Migrant Category application.
  • Only the fee part of the application cost will be required. If you have already paid a levy with a previous Skilled Migrant Category or Residence from Work application, you will not need to pay the levy again.
  • If you do not choose to withdraw your other skilled residence application, you must pay the full application fee because we need to recover the costs of processing both the 2021 Resident Visa, and the Skilled Migrant Category/Residence from Work application. You will not need to pay another levy.

Dependent children aged 25 and over applying under this category will not need to pay a separate fee or levy.

The process for refunds for those who may be entitled to one is to be decided.

Should you need more information or clarification, please contact us.

Processing timeframes

It is expected the majority of applications will be processed within 12 months, with most being processed much faster.
This page will be updated regularly with the latest processing times and information.


If your application for residence is declined you will have the same appeal rights as any residence visa applicant. You will be able to appeal to the independent Immigration and Protection Tribunal. If you are not eligible for the new residence pathway you can explore other visa options if you want to stay in New Zealand permanently.

If you are not eligible for the 2021 Resident Visa you may still be eligible for further temporary work visas.

Should you need more information or clarification, please contact us.

Q: What is the NEW travel requirement for Non Neww Zealand citizens?(Oct 2021)

A: From 1 November 2021, non-New Zealand citizens aged 17 years and over must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 to enter New Zealand. 

New Zealand permanent residents and temporary visa holders are not New Zealand citizens and will need to declare vaccination or exemption (evidence of either will be required): 

  • when booking places in managed isolation and quarantine (MIQ) 
  • when checking in for the flight, and 
  • to Customs officers in New Zealand. 

The last dose of an approved course of vaccine must have been taken at least 14 days before travel. Travellers who fail to meet requirements will not be permitted to board their flight. 

New Zealand citizens, children aged under 17 and travellers who cannot be vaccinated for medical reasons do not need evidence of vaccination to enter New Zealand. 

Please find the list of approved COVID-19 vaccines here at;

Q: Some Questions & Answers to the NEW 2021 One off resident visa

A: Please click here 

Q: Will the online Essential Skills application process not be available for the next month or so? (July 2021)

A: At this stage (July 2021), the old online application form will still be available, however applicants will be directed to apply via the paper based route. The online form will be updated on 30 August. People can apply through the INZ website (the application process will be paper based until a new web form is created next month in late August).

Q: What if the medical or police certificates previously provided by the applicant have expired? (July 2021)

A: If the applicant qualifies for streamlined Essential Skills visa processing, then they will not normally need to provide a new police certificate or medical certificate (July 2021)

Q: Will the work visa categories that were due to close on 1 November now stay open? (July 2021)

A: Essential skills will remain open until mid-2022.  There has not been a decision about whether the Talent or LTSSL work to residence categories will still close on 1 November. (July 2021)

Q: What is happening with the employer AIP – will it get turned back on? (July 2021)

A: No, not at this stage. Workers will have to make individual applications (July 2021)

Q: Who is eligible to Travel to NZ? (Apr 2020)

A: Travel eligibility is as follow;

Allowed to come here without first requesting to travel are:

  • New Zealand citizens and permanent resident visa holders
  • the partner or dependent child of a New Zealand citizen or permanent resident, and your visa is based on this relationship
  • a diplomat who holds a post in New Zealand
  • Australian citizens or permanent residents ordinarily resident in New Zealand
  • Eligible travellers from the Cook Island

For Resident visa holders;

Travel conditions of all other resident visas must be valid for the holder to enter New Zealand.

Your resident visa must have been granted:

  • when you were in New Zealand, or
  • when you were offshore but you have used it to travel to New Zealand previously, or
  • because you previously held a resident visa while in New Zealand.

Q: Travel Bubbles & Quarantine Free travel? (July 2020)

A:Travel bubbles allow quarantine-free travel between two countries in an agreement.

In July, New Zealand’s travel bubble with Australia was suspended. With outbreaks now occurring in both countries, it is not likely the travel bubble will open again any time soon. The Cook Islands travel bubble has also been suspended due to the recent Delta outbreak in New Zealand, and this bubble will not reopen until there is zero community transmission for at least 2 weeks and most of the NZ population is vaccinated. However, travellers from the Island of Niue are currently allowed to travel to NZ without quarantine.

Q: What to expect from te Managed Isolation Process? (July 2020)

A: If you are legally allowed to travel to NZ, there are a few things you’ll need to prepare for before booking your flight. New Zealand has one of the strictest managed isolation processes in the world, and travel procedures are entirely different now compared to pre-pandemic.

All international arrivals in NZ are legally required to undergo 2 weeks of managed isolation in an approved facility. Travellers must book their place in an approved facility prior to their flight and present their voucher to confirm the booking. Returnees arriving from high-risk countries such as the U.S or India or the U.K must have proof of a negative Covid test before flying.

When you arrive in NZ and check-in at the airport, you will be transported directly to your isolation unit. Anyone staying in managed isolation is required to take two Covid tests over the course of their stay. If both tests show negative results, you will be allowed to depart after two weeks and enjoy New Zealand. The best source for up to date MIQ information is from the NZ government who manage and allocate isolation/quarantine bookings.

Q: Does the Managed Isolation Allocation Voucher give me the right to enter New Zealand?

A: No, your voucher only confirms you have an allocation in a managed isolation facility. New Zealand's borders are closed to everyone except New Zealand citizens and residents unless they qualify for an exception. Visit Immigration New Zealand's Border closure and exceptions webpage to find out if you qualify for a border exception.

Q: Do I have to pay for my Managed Isolation Allocation Voucher?

A: There is no cost to get a voucher. However, some people will need to contribute to the costs of their managed isolation. Refer to the Charges for managed isolation webpage for more information.

Q: I am a New Zealand citizen/resident, do I need to enter a managed isolation facility?

A: Yes. Everyone returning to New Zealand must stay in managed isolation or quarantine for at least 14 days and return a negative COVID-19 test before they can go into the community, unless an exemption has been granted.

Exemptions to managed isolation are rare and will only be issued in very limited circumstances and where the health risk is low and can be managed. Visit Exemptions from isolation for more information.

Q: Who needs to get a voucher through this website?

A: Having a voucher is now a legal requirement to fly into New Zealand, this includes travellers returning from quarantine-free entry to Australia.

Airlines will not be permitted to board passengers to New Zealand who do not have a voucher, unless they are exempt from using the Managed Isolation Allocation System.

You can ask someone to complete the registration for you or on behalf of you or your group. They will need to create an account and enter their own details before entering the passenger information..

Q: When Will Covid 19 Restrictions be Lifted? (Jan 2021)

A: As of now, there is no date announced and the future remains uncertain. What we do know, is that restrictions will remain in place until at least the end of the year. Lifted border restrictions will likely depend on the success of New Zealand’s vaccination rollout going forward.

Q: Can I work when I arrive in New Zealand?

A: You are not allowed to Work in New Zealand without a Work Visa.

Only a Work Visa entitles you to work for the Employer and in the position as stipulated on your Work Visa. This means that you may not work for any or other Employer without a legal Work Visa.

Also, Visitor Visa holders may not Work in New Zealand while Student Visa holders are only entitled to Study a Course of Study at an Educational Institute as stipulated on the Student Visa and may request to Work part time, though certain conditions do apply.

For more information, please contact TNC

Q: Do I need a Visa?

A: Everyone travelling to New Zealand requires a Visa. There are however some exceptions as people from some countries don't need a visa to enter New Zealand.

If you are visiting for three months or less and are from a country in the list below, the so-called Visa Free Countries, you will not need a visa.

Andorra, Argentina, Austria, Bahrain, Belguim, Brazil, Brunei, Canada, Chile, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia*, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong**, Hungary,  Iceland, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Korea (South), Kuwait, Latvia*, Liechtenstein, Lithuania*, Luxembourg, Malaysia, Malta, Mexico, Monaco, Netherlands, Norway, Oman,  Poland, Portugal***, Qatar, San Marino, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, Slovak Republic, Slovenia,  South Africa, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, UA Emirates, United States of America****, Uruguay,    Vatican City    

* Visa waiver does not apply to people travelling on non-citizen's passports issued by these countries. 

** Residents of Hong Kong travelling on Hong Kong Special Administrative Region or British National (Overseas) passports. 

*** Portuguese passport holders must also have the right to live permanently in Portugal. 

**** Including nationals of the USA. United Kingdom and AustraliaBritish citizens and other British passport holders who produce evidence of the right to reside permanently in the UK can visit for up to six months without a visa. 

Australian citizens and holders of a current resident return visa issued by the Commonwealth of Australia do not need a visa.

For more detailed information please contact TNC .  

Q: What are the options for my family to come to New Zealand? (July 2020)

A: There are various options available to you, some may lead to residence while others may ony be for a temporary stay; 

The Parents category

The Parent Residence scheme was re-opened in early 2020. This relies on the NZ son or daughter showing that they earn enough to sponsor one or both parents. The salary thresholds start with twice the median wage (chaning every year, currently about $112,000 a year, based on $27 per hour) and go up from there. With the border closures, this policy was put on hold indefinitely, but interestingly, you can stll lodge an EOI, With many applications already in the pool, you could be waiting for a long time, from 2 to 4 years or longer for a final decision.

Here are some additional options:

  • Parent Retirement Residence – if your parents are moderately wealthy. They must invest NZ$1 million for 4 years, show that they have another $500,000 to live on, and have an income (such as a pension or rents), of $60,000 per year;
  • Temporary Retirement Visitor Visa – if your parents are 66 years or over. Similar criteria to the Retirement Residence, except that they only have to invest $750,000 for 2 years. But they only get a 2-year Visitor Visa, so the value of this policy is not great in return;
  • Multiple-Entry Visitor Visa – no age or investment requirements. This allows entry for a maximum stay of 6 months at a time, up to a maximum time in NZ of 18 months, over a 3-year period.

Adult Siblings such as Brothers and Sisters

The specific Sibling visa policy was stopped in 2012 meaning that you cannot simply sponsor a brother or sister because of that family relationship. They therefore will have to look at other options:

  • A Work Visa – based on a job offer. The job offer must be for work where your brother or sister has college-level qualifications and several years of work experience (usually, at least 3). It must also be for a job where the employer can prove that they cannot find NZ workers. It is unwise for a NZ family member to offer their relative a job. Immigration will immediately be suspicious that it is not genuine.
  • A Student Visa – for a University-level course,we suggest a Bachelor’s degree. This though is an expensive route as are most international student fees very high, but also the applicant must prove that they have at least NZ$15,000 per year of study, of their own money, to support themselves. The NZ family can be sponsors, but they must show that they earn enough to do so, and they may also need to prove that they can provide accommodation. The advantage of getting a Student Visa like this is that, upon successful graduation, one can get a 3-year open Work Visa to look for a job related to what they studied, ddepending the locationof their study. This could then lead to Residence at a later stage.

Dependent Children

This is a child of a Citizen or Resident of New Zealand, biologically or adopted, meeting with the following requirements:

  • 24 years old or younger
  • Single
  • Have not had any children of their own
  • Not earning enough income to support themselves – that is, they must substantially rely upon parents or other caregivers for their food, accommodation and so on.
  • There are more specific rules depending upon their particular age 

Please contact us for the specifics as theses are changing on a continuous basis

Q: What can you tell me about Police certificates?

A: Depending on how long you plan to stay in New Zealand and the visa you apply for, you may need to provide police certificates to show your good character.

Applying for a visitor, student or work visa

You must provide police certificates if you are:

  • 17 years or older, and
  • planning to stay for more than 24 months — this includes any time you have already spent in New Zealand.

Provide police certificates from any country you:

  • are a citizen of, and
  • have lived in for more than 5 years since you turned 17.

If you have provided certificates before

If you are applying for a visitor or work visa, or for an Exchange Student Visa, you do not need to provide police certificates if:

  • you provided them to us with a previous visa application, and
  • they were issued in the previous 2 years.

If you are applying for a Fee Paying Student Visa you do not need to provide police certificates if you:

  • provided them to us with a previous visa application, and they were issued in the previous 3 years, or
  • are under 20 years of age and have held a student visa (or consecutive student visas) on and since the date you turned 17, and are applying for a further student visa.

Applying for a resident visa

You must provide police certificates if you are 17 years or older.

Provide police certificates from:

  • any country you are a citizen of
  • any other country where you spent 12 months or more over the last 10 years — even if that 12 months was not all in 1 visit.

If you have provided certificates before

If you are applying for a Dependent Child Resident Visa or a Partner of a New Zealander Resident Visa, you do not need to provide police certificates if:

  • you have provided them to us with a previous visa application, and
  • they were issued in the previous 2 years.

For more details on Police certificates and where to go for a Police certifcatel, please contact us.

Q: What can you tell me about Medicals?

A: A passport is required for all those who have to undergo a medical.

We always advise to arrive at least 15 minutes before and to not consume alcohol and fatty food for one week before the examination.

Please note that your chest x-ray and medical certificates must be no more than 3 months old. This means you should have all your visa application documents ready to submit once your x-ray or medical examination is completed.

We recommend you contact the panel physician to find out when you can book an appointment for your x-ray or medical examination.

If you are getting a medical examination you should also find out how long it will take to receive your blood test results. If an issue is found during your x-ray or medical examination you may require additional tests, which can take more time.

When not to get an x-ray or medical examination

If you have sent INZ a chest x-ray certificate with an earlier visa application, you don’t need to have another x-ray unless either:
it’s been more than 3 years since you had the last one; since you had the last x-ray, you spent more than 6 months in a row in a country that doesn't have a low incidence of TB.

If you have sent INZ a medical certificate with an earlier visa application, you don’t need to have another medical examination unless: it’s been more than 3 years since you had the last one; you weren’t assessed as having an acceptable standard of health at the time; we need a different kind of medical certificate than the one you provided.

What to bring to your appointment

  • an identity document
  • your glasses or contact lenses if you use them
  • a list of any medication you are taking (including dosage)
  • any relevant medical reports or x-rays
  • if you’re 17 or under, your parent or legal guardian with you
  • if you’re using an immigration adviser, a completed ‘Immigration Adviser Details’ form.

If you choose to, you can bring a family member, support person, and/or interpreter to your appointment. Let the clinic know when you make your appointment if you will be bringing another person with you.

There are 3 parts to the medical examination

  1. Medical history and physical examination. 
  2. Urine and blood tests.
  3. Chest x-ray, if required.

The physician will complete the physical examination. He or she will check your height, weight, mental state, hearing and vision, listen to your heart, lungs, feel your abdomen and check your reflexes, power and the rest of your nervous system.

You’ll need to remove some items of clothing for the physical examination. Some parts of the physical examination may be completed by a nurse or health care assistant.

You will need to provide a urine sample during the medical examination.

You will also need to get blood tests, and possibly a chest x-ray and some other tests if necessary. You may need to go to different places to get some tests done.

If you’d like a copy of your medical examination results, you should advise the clinic at the time you are undergoing your examination.

  • Women can’t have a medical examination during their period (menstruation) because the blood can affect the results – you’ll need to wait until your period finishes before having your medical examination.
  • Women aged 45 and over may need to have a breast examination. Your physician will tell you if you need one.

All children, including babies, must have a medical examination.

  • Children aged 10 and under don’t need to have a chest x-ray, unless the physician thinks it’s necessary or INZ ask for one.
  • Children aged 14 and under don’t need to have a blood test, unless the physician thinks it’s necessary or INZ ask for one.

For more details on Medicals and where to undergo a Medical, please contact us.

Q: What is the IPT?

A: The Immigration and Protection Tribunal is an independent body established under the Immigration Act 2009 (the Act) to hear appeals and applications regarding:

  • residence class visas
  • deportation (including appeals on the facts and humanitarian grounds)
  • claims to be recognised as a refugee or as a protected person.

The Tribunal is administered by the Ministry of Justice. It is chaired by a District Court Judge, appointed by the Governor-General on the recommendation of the Attorney-General, and 16 members appointed by the Governor-General on the recommendation of the Minister of Justice.

For more details on Appeals, please contact us.

Q: How do I Appeal?

A: How to Appeal
You may obtain an appeal form from the Tribunal, or you may download the relevant appeal form below and deliver your appeal in person or by courier, together with your lodgement fee (if applicable), during the office hours of 8.30am to 4.30pm, Monday to Friday at:

Immigration and Protection Tribunal
Level 1 Chorus House
41 Federal Street
Auckland 1010
New Zealand

Or send your completed appeal form by post, together with your lodgement fee (if applicable), to:

Immigration and Protection Tribunal
EX 11086
Auckland 1010
New Zealand

Make sure you complete the correct form for the type of appeal you are making.

Appeal forms

Notice of Appeal - Residence Class Visa Appeal – Form 1 (PDF, 1.8 MB)

Use this Notice of Appeal form if you want to appeal to the Tribunal against a decision by Immigration New Zealand or the Minister of Immigration:

Declining your residence class visa application, or
Cancelling your resident visa, or
Refusing to grant you (a resident visa holder) entry permission into New Zealand.
Notice of Appeal - Refugee and Protection Status Appeal – Form 2 (PDF, 815 KB)

Use this Notice of Appeal form if you want to appeal to the Immigration and Protection Tribunal against a refugee and protection officer’s decision to:

Decline your claim for refugee or protected person status.
Decline to accept for consideration your claim for recognition as a refugee or protected person.
Cancel or cease your recognition as a refugee or protected person.
Refuse to consider your subsequent claim for refugee or protected person status.
Notice of Appeal - Deportation Appeal by a Resident/Permanent Resident - Form 3 (PDF, 1.03 MB)

Use this Notice of Appeal form if you are a resident or permanent resident and would like to appeal to the Tribunal against your liability for deportation.

Notice of Appeal - Deportation Appeal (Cancelled Refugee and/or Protection Status) – Form 4 (PDF, 1.02 MB)

Use this Notice of Appeal form if you have been served a Deportation Liability Notice after your refugee and/or protection status was cancelled and you would like to appeal to the Tribunal against your liability for deportation.

Notice of Appeal - Humanitarian Appeal against Deportation - Form 5 (PDF, 1.14 MB)

Use this Notice of Appeal form if you are liable for deportation because:

You are unlawfully in New Zealand, or
Your temporary or interim visa was granted in error, or
You held your temporary or interim visa under a false identity, or
You held a temporary or interim visa and it was determined that there was sufficient reason to deport you; or
You are a refugee and protection claimant appealing against a decision by a refugee and protection officer and would be entitled to a humanitarian appeal if you became liable for deportation.
Application to cease/cancel recognition as a refugee or protected person - Form 6 (PDF, 457 KB)

Application by the Minister of Immigration for determination of failure to meet conditions of suspension of liability for deportation – Form 7 (PDF, 441 KB)

Authority to Act – Form 8 (PDF, 445 KB)

You should complete this form if you have appointed a new representative since your appeal was lodged.

Withdrawal of Appeal Form - Form 9 (PDF, 440 KB)

This form can be used if you want to withdraw your appeal. You can withdraw an appeal at any time until a decision has been issued by the Tribunal.


Guides are available to help you with completing your form. There is a separate guide for each of the forms 1- 5.
These guides will help you to assess whether or not you are entitled to appeal to the Tribunal, and provide information on how to lodge an appeal. They also include brief information on what happens after you lodge your appeal. (See the Forms and Guides page).

Appeals to the Tribunal must be lodged within specific timeframes. Each of the guides contains the information on how you calculate the period in which you must appeal.

There is a lodgement fee to pay for most types of appeals, except refugee and protection appeals. (See the Fees page for details).

Use of a representative

Anyone appealing to the Tribunal may appoint an agent or legal representative to represent them during the application or appeal process, or they may represent themselves.

If the appeal is against a decision made using classified information, the person appealing will also be given a list of special advocates from which they can select an advocate to represent them during the classified parts of the appeal (actual and reasonable costs of a special advocate are government funded.) The person appealing can also retain their personal legal representative for the other parts of the appeal process.

Why might an appeal not be accepted?

If an appeal is not lodged correctly, or if the correct lodgement fee has not been paid, the Tribunal may not accept the appeal. In this situation, the person who submitted the appeal form will be informed of what is required and invited to resubmit the appeal form once it is complete if this is still within the appeal period.

The Tribunal cannot accept an appeal if the person appealing has no right of appeal.

Appealing or reviewing a Tribunal decision

Any party to a Tribunal appeal (who may include the person appealing, the Department of Labour’s Chief Executive, or the Minister of Immigration) dissatisfied with the Tribunal’s decision may seek leave to appeal to the High Court on a point of law. This means that only legal issues may be raised, not issues of fact.

Filing an appeal from a Tribunal decision is only possible on application for leave (permission) filed with the High Court within 28 days after the date you were notified of the decision.

You also have the right to apply for judicial review with the High Court. This means that you are asking the High Court to review the Tribunal’s exercise of its statutory power.

An application for judicial review must also be filed within 28 days after the date you or your representative were notified of the decision.

If both an appeal on a point of law and a judicial review of proceedings are sought about the same case, the party must lodge the applications for appeal and for judicial review together. The High Court must endeavour to hear both together (unless it is not practical to do so).

It is strongly recommended that you seek legal advice before filing an application for leave to appeal on point of law or application for judicial review with the High Court.


Any complaint made about a Member of the Tribunal will be considered by the Chair of the Tribunal. Any complaint made about the Chair will be considered by the Chief District Court Judge (as the Chair of the Tribunal is a District Court Judge).

For more details on Appeals, please contact us.

Q: What is Information matching

A: Information you supply to Immigration New Zealand may be used by other government agencies to allow more effective verification of information and help assess your eligibility for various services. Information matching is carried out under the authority of and consistent with Part 10 of the Privacy Act 1993 and is monitored by the Office of the Privacy Commissioner.

Agencies authorised to match identifying information with INZ

The below Specified Agencies have the support of the below Authorising Legislation for the following Purpose;

  • Department of Internal Affairs (Citizenship Branch) supported by Section 26A Citizenship Act 1977 (Schedule 4), to verify –  (a) a person’s NZ citizenship status (b) a person’s entitlement to reside in New Zealand
  • Electoral Enrolment Centre supported with Section 263B Electoral Act 1993, to identify people who are not qualified to vote but who have registered as an elector.
  • Department of Internal Affairs (Births, Deaths & Marriages) supported with Section 78A and Schedule 1A of the Births, Deaths & Marriages Registration Act 1995, to o identify deceased holders of limited term visas.
  • Department of Corrections uses Section 181 of the Corrections Act 2004 and Section 294 of the Immigration Act 2009, too identify offenders that may be liable for deportation.

A Short Guide to Information Matching

Immigration New Zealand undertake authorised information matching programmes with Government Agencies

The Department of Labour helps New Zealanders achieve high-quality working lives in thriving and inclusive communities through information, services and support for workplaces and communities. The immigration function of the Department of Labour sits within the Workforce group and contributes to this by increasing the economic and social framework of New Zealand through immigration.

However in doing this the rights of New Zealand citizens and persons already resident in New Zealand must be protected. Parliament has authorised limited access to certain government departments in order to provide better services to prospective immigrants and New Zealand citizens.

What is information matching?

Information matching is the comparison of personal information held in one set of records with personal information held in another set of records for the purpose of producing or verifying information about an individual. Information matching can only be performed where it has been authorised by statute and conforms to privacy legislation.

Why is information matching taking place?

Information matching can be done for a number of reasons, such as making it simpler to deal with government agencies or reducing overall costs to taxpayers. Information matching may also help to tidy up government databases (eg by identifying duplicates and reducing fraud).

To whom provides Immigration New Zealand information to?

The following agencies are authorised to match information with Immigration New Zealand:

  • Department of Internal Affairs
  • Electoral Enrolment Centre
  • Department of Corrections

The privacy of the information is important

Agencies involved in information matching will only have access to the information they are legally entitled to. The Privacy Commissioner reviews the setting up of the Immigration New Zealand programmes and monitors their operation.

What can I do if I think my personal information may have been misused?

You can lodge a formal complaint with the Privacy Commissioner.

For more general information about privacy issues please contact the Office of the Privacy Commissioner 0800 803 909 or through their website on 

For more details, please contact us.


Covid 19 Notice

As the impact of the coronavirus continues to evolve, we face this unprecedented situation together. The pandemic is affecting all of us. At Terra Nova Consultancy Ltd we wish to reach out and update you on how we are addressing it. Our top priority is to protect the health and safety of our employees, clients, and our communities. Our focus on customer service remains at the center of everything we do, and we are fully committed to continue to serve you with our services, and striving to provide our services without interruption.Please listen and act upon the advise given by the Government, only in that way will we together be able to combat this challenge. And as always, stay healthy and keep safe.

Contact Details

Terra Nova Consultancy Ltd
14 Glanworth Place, Botany 2106
Manukau, Auckland 2106,
New Zealand

View map

Please arrange visit by appointment.

Mobile: +64 275 706 540

Postal Address:
PO Box 58385, Botany
Manukau, Auckland 2163,
New Zealand

Licensed Immigration Adviser

Johannes Petrus (Peter) Hubertus Cornelis Hendrikx

License number: 200800214

Is your Immigration Adviser
licenced by the NZ Government?
Click here for details